Friday, January 14, 2005

Greens make me red

The education office has been for the last 2 days locked in a battle with local green party. In order to build a new building, certain already deseased trees have got to me moved (they must be replaced according to planning law). After 3 years and 3 seperate independant tests, the greens are still kicking up a fuss. Idiots.

They have no sense of perspective, no understanding of the longer term aims of the school, no idea that the education office doesn't want to be sued for negligence should a deseased tree fall and hurt someone.

I used to think the green party was progressive: in fact it's clear from local actions they are the most conservitive, anti-change group of people in politics right now. I can't believe I supported them with a vote for the European Elections. I will never again.

Trying to work for a better environment is fine; but heated council chamber meetings when good officers are yelled at, knived against and lied too is too far to save 2 dying trees.

Grow up, greens. You make people go red.

8 Comments:

Blogger James said...

Come now, Phill. You're not going to argue that you can draw blanket conclusions about an international party from the actions of one small local branch are you?

Which would you prefer: that they kick up a fuss about some diseased old tree, or supported trade rules that rob the world's poorest of $700bn per year?

I'm not arguing that they made the right decision here, but that they're not alone in arguing over meaningless issues, and that there are rather a lot of considerations to make when voting.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Fluffy said...

I might just be kicking upa fuss because that's what their rags do to us :)

6:51 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Actually, though I would hesitate to say this is their reason for fighting, you might not realise just how valuable dead trees are. In conservation terms they’re invaluable as a range of habitats for some quite specific and varied species from lichens and fungi to beetles. And because so many people naively think that conservation of the countryside involves tidiness, there’s a worrying shortage of dead wood around, meaning many dependent species are threatened. The biodiversity of standing dead wood is particularly vulnerable. This is a very important contemporary issue.

I wouldn’t be so crude as to start trading these off against human life, but I would say this should be considered. And I also think you’re taking a few liberties by attacking the whole party for individuals. It’s like me attacking all of the labour party because of the Iraq war. Though it could just be that you’re still infatuated with Tommy Sheridan ;)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Fluffy said...

I know I know :)

But even so, L, dead trees where we want to put up a building... :)

7:59 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

Couldn't you just build it somewhere else? Maybe plannig law isn't so much my area ;)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I think I made the same point as James independently here, well well well... local activists are always petty, I don't really think you can compare them to MEPs, any more than some Labour activists in any given area that you don't like can be compared with Tony Blair.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Fluffy said...

I can see your points, but you'd still think less of a party if it's local gang acted like idiots and yelled at your co workers! :p

8:39 AM  
Blogger postliberal said...

I'm sure there are wallies in every party -

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home